Women's Global Green Action Network's Grassroots Women Environmental Leaders Strategy Meeting
WGGAN International Strategy Meeting
Who? What? Where? We are seeking visionary women from around the world who are working for sustainable development and environmental justice in their communities. We welcome environmental advocates, organizers and entrepreneurs to join us at the Women's Global Green Action Network's Grassroots Women Environmental Leaders Strategy Meeting. Our meeting will be held in Mexico City, Mexico, March 12-16 th , 2006. Our group will also have an important presence at the Fourth World Water Forum in Mexico City which will immediately follow our 3-day strategy meeting. (http://www.worldwaterforum.org/home/home.asp),
Why Are We Gathering? In women's efforts to curb the impacts of environmental degradation, they work against powerful, entrenched social and economic barriers. Often without the privileges of social or economic equity, personal safety, or political rights, women around the world face significant constraints in exercising influence over their living conditions. Their central role in managing, preserving and healing their natural environment is often ignored or exploited, especially those working at the grassroots level, where time and resources are especially scarce. Too often, women miss out on the opportunity to work in coalition, build a collective agenda and meaningfully influence policy.
In March 2006, Women's Global Green Action Network will convene a group of visionary women environmental advocates, organizers and entrepreneurs from around the world who are working to reverse these trends.
What Do We Seek to Accomplish? During our 3-day meeting, our group will:
• Develop a platform of action and set of recommendations for creating a global network for grassroots women environmental leaders;
• Share their experiences, successes and challenges working on the “frontlines” in their communities;
• Build long-term working relationships and strategic alliances;
• Help identify the on-the-ground needs of women who are working at the community level on sustainability and environmental, social and economic justice;
By joining voices, women grassroots environmental leaders can become even more effective and influential in promoting the ideas and practices of environmental stewardship. In so doing, women attendees will pioneer a global movement from this emergent powerbase that extends far beyond regional borders.
Our group will also attend the Fourth World Water Forum in Mexico City (http://www.worldwaterforum.org/home/home.asp), which will immediately follow our 3-day strategy meeting.
How YOU Can Help
* Nominate a woman who is a leader in grassroots advocacy, entrepreneurship, and/or community organizing around issues of environmental justice and/or sustainability. For details, click here, or email us at email@example.com
* Make a financial contribution towards our Mexico Strategy Meeting! Checks can be made payable to Women’s Global Green Action Network/Matter of Trust and sent to: Women’s Global Green Action Network; P.O. Box 14146 Berkeley, CA 94712 USA, or online.
* Host a house party to raise funds for our women participants! Help make it possible for women to travel from their communities and meet face-to-face for this pioneering Strategy Meeting! Details are available here.
* Lend us your skills by joining one of our planning committees! For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Join our mailing list to stay informed about the global network! Send an email to email@example.com with “subscribe” in the address line.